Monday, March 26, 2007

Ok....here we go again!

It's been some time since I have blogged.

If you were to ask me why it has taken so long, I would have to say, I don't really know.

It seems as if the past couple of weeks have been like walking in a spiritual swamp.

Since I have called this blog, "Pastor Dave Lets His Hair Down", please allow me to indulge myself on this post, by sharing some thoughts and feelings I have had over the past couple of weeks.

As a pastor, I wear a lot of hats (teacher, preacher, counselor, administrator, comedian, and a few others). Of all of these, my favorite is when I get to preach. I love to study the Word, pick it apart, dissect it, put it back together, and then share it with the congregation. There is something extra-special when you are preaching the Word of God, and you feel "the connection"! I'm talking about that special moment when you know that you are connecting with the congregation and with the Holy Spirit, and it comes back to you. It is the most awesome of moments, that I cannot even begin to describe to you, and unless you have experienced it yourself, there is no way I can adequately describe it to you.

Having said all that, let me just say that the last couple of weeks in the pulpit I have felt like I was riding a tricycle with one wheel about to come off, or like I was driving a four cylinder car that was only running on three cylinders! I was getting somewhere, but it wasn't working like it was supposed to.

I didn't know what was wrong....but I knew something was wrong.

Now, our church has begun doing the DOWNPOUR study by James MacDonald. As I began to do my daily lesson each day, I began to sense something happening to me. I can only describe it as a "shifting" of sorts spiritually.

Then my wife called me at work, just as I was finishing the last lesson for this week. After talking with her, I went outside in my car and broke down and cried. I can't even tell you why I was crying...I just was. But with the tears there was a cleansing, a washing, a renewing in my heart.

Just as I couldn't tell you what was wrong before, I can't tell you what is "right" now, just that I know it is right, that all is well with my soul.

It's at this point that I'm supposed to tie this all up in a neat little biblical/spiritual package with a couple of handy, dandy verses for future use. Only problem is, I don't have any cute little sayings, or clever, catchy phrases, or any verses to use, either in, or out of context.

So I leave you with this.

It was dark, and it was dry, and it was muddy, and it was mucky.

Then it rained.

And it is now, fresh, and clean, and clear and free.

Please pray for me, as I continue to live this life, one step at a time, following in the footsteps of Jesus.

Ok, so there's that.
Pastor Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somtimes I think God has to reveal to us just how yicky it is where we're at before we're willing to move to where He is.