Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Passion For God - Part 2

I finished reading the book on Tozer today.

I don't have words that can express how I feel after reading this book.
I finished it on one of my breaks at work, and afterwards I wanted to just crawl under my desk and cry and pray and ask God that I might know Him even more.

A. W. Tozer had a passion for many things when it came to ministry. He had a passion to preach, to teach, to mentor, and to see souls saved. All of this was born out of his greatest passion, and that was to know God more and more, never being satisfied with where he was at, but always striving for a deeper knowing of God the Father, God the Son & God the Holy Spirit.

This biography of this man of God made me re-evaluate my relationship with my Lord and Savior. I realized I have spent much time knowing about God, knowing of God and precious little time knowing God.

My ramblings on this blog cannot do justice to what the book did for me as I read it. I learned of a man who spent time pursuing his relationship with God in a manner that I don't know of anyone else doing.

The book does not paint a "candy-coated" picture of Tozer. His faults are there, in black and white, and they stand out even more so in contrast to the picture of his heart and devotion to God.

Here are a couple of random quotes from the book:
"...he(Tozer) had come to see that most people (including Christians) had such a low view of God that they felt little desire to pursue Him."

"The need today is for leaders identified so fully with the cross-carrying Jesus that they have no life apart from Him, no ambition except to make Him appear glorious in the sight of men. Such as these will seek no place, no reputation. Christ Himself will be their glory and their all."

I think of so many today, who say they are called to preach the gospel, but are more concerned with building a ministry. Tozer believed that if we would pursue the depth of our ministry through our relationship with God, that God would take care of the breadth of our ministry.

I cannot help but wonder what would happen if we had a hundred men like Tozer today.

I encourage every beleiver to read this book about this amazing man of God. I believe you will not be the same when you finish.

I am going back to reading his book, "The Pursuit Of God" again...and I plan on diving into the Word of God more often, for longer periods of time, along with as much time on my knees as I can.

I would like to close with a quote from the introduction to his book, "The Pursuit Of God" that Tozer himself wrote.

"...if my fire is not large it is yet real, and there may be those who can light their candle at it's flame."

I pray for a passion for God as Tozer had, to be set ablaze with the love of Christ, and that others might catch fire with me.

In pursuit of God,
Pastor Dave

No comments: