Monday, May 21, 2007

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Anyone else remember that one hit wonder from the group Timbuk 3?

I thought of that song when I read this in the Word today:

Exodus 34:29-30 (New International Version)
29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant...

I thought this was sooooo cool!

Here Moses had spent time with the Lord and people could tell it just by looking at him!

I couldn't help but wonder if that ever happens today. I thought of a few people in our church, and I realized that every time I see them, the love of the Lord shines through them. I'm sure they have their "off" times and "down" times, but every time I see them, I can see the Lord in their face...in their words....in their laugh.

Then I wonder, does anyone see the Lord when they look at me.

Do they see the Lord in me when I am:

Driving down the freeway.
Working on cases at work.
Talking with my children.
Being a customer at a store (where the clerk cares more about talking on the phone to their friends than waiting on the person who ultimately is responsible for paying their salary and allowing them to keep their little minimum wage job!.....ooops....guess we know the answer to that one don't we)

I want people to see the Lord when they look at me.
Not for me. But for Him.

I have received my fair share of compliments and criticisms as a preacher, but one of the ones that has meant the most to me was when someone came up to me afterwards and said, "You know what I enjoy about your sermons? I can tell you have spent time with God."

Wow.

That moved me.

But as a preacher that should be the norm for every message I preach.

But is it the norm for me once I leave the pulpit and walk out the church doors?

I don't know. But I do know that I am going to strive for that.

Exodus 34:29-30 (New International Version)
29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant...

How cool is that!

Ok, so there's that.
Pastor Dave

No comments: