Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Jeremiah 15:16 "Your words were found, and I ate them. Your words became a delight to me and the joy of my heart, for I am called by Your name, Yahweh God of Hosts."

When I read these words of the prophet Jeremiah today I couldn't help but think of the number of people I know who search for answers everywhere except for the Word of God.  

I thought of how often I have approached reading the Word as an exercise  or a discipline, but not as a delight.  Don't get me wrong, there is benefit in exercise and discipline, even if we don't find it a delight - but shouldn't we who are the children of God, who call the Lord "Abba" - Father - Daddy - delight in reading His love letter to us?

I was watching the "Elephant Room 2" video last night - Session 3, Conversation 6 discussing the moral failings of pastors and church leaders, Crawford Loritts made the following statement, "...I've never talked to anyone who fell morally who was consistent in their times alone with God.  Never.  And I've been in the ministry for forty years."  He goes on to explain it a little deeper, "You can read your Bible  until the cows come home  and be legalistic about it and that is not a cure for sin.  What I'm saying is that the authentic passion for Jesus, a hunger and thirst to love Him more, to know Him more, to create that spiritual hothouse...we need to create cultures in our church where holiness and passion for Jesus is everything."

The connection between the two is obvious.  We cannot and will not fall more in love with Jesus, know Jesus more, have more passion for Him and hunger and thirst for Him apart from time spent in His Word.  John tells us that Jesus is the Word!

John 1:1 & 14 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God....The Word became flesh and took up residence among us. We observed His glory, the glory as the One and Only Son from the Father,full of grace and truth."

The answer to overcoming sin in our lives is really simple. Read the Word. Delight in the Word. When the Word becomes our joy - sin will always look ugly and wretched and sick. When our relationship with Jesus is of the utmost importance to us, we will always want to spend time learning of Him, drawing closer to Him, loving Him, communicating with Him...and yes, reading His love letters...all 66 of 'em.


Time to hit the Book,
Pastor Dave

No comments: