Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Radical Cross

I have been reading "The Radical Cross" by A.W. Tozer.
Photobucket

It has brought conviction to my heart.

This is not an easy book to read, but I believe it is a much needed book for the church today. I went on an internet search for Tozer, and came up with some quotes I would like to share here.

"Pure Christianity, instead of being shaped by its environment, actually stands in sharp opposition to it."

"Apart from God nothing matters. We think that health matters, that freedom matters, or knowledge or art or civilization. And but for one insistent word they would matter indeed. That word is eternity."

"Christianity is so entangled with the world that millions never guess how radically they have missed the New Testament pattern. Compromise is everywhere."

"The man who preaches truth and applies it to the lives of his hearers will feel the nails and the thorns. He will lead a hard life, but a glorious one. May God raise up many such prophets. The church needs them badly."

The first chapter of the book all by itself is worth the price of this book.

Find it.

Read it.

Make it apart of you.

I close with thes lyrics from a song by Steve Camp. Photobucket
"The Cross Is A Radical Thing"

I heard the call of the Lord
He said, "Come and Follow me!"
Once you put you hand to the ploy
You've got to press on faithfully

Like the rich young ruler,
Who wanted heaven on his own terms
We try and find an easy way
But there's a cross to bear and
A lesson to learn

Two roads diverged in my life
I took the one less traveled by
I had to leave my old ways of living
For the cross is a radical thing

Jesus paid for my salvation
On a hill called Calvary
he shed his blood for my sin
So that I could be free indeed

But though I'm free from sin
A slave to my Lord am I
'Cause when Jesus calls a man
he bids him to come and die

I've been crucified with jesus
No longer I live but He lives in me
I've left everything for my King
For the cross is a radical thing

Ok, now I have to go read some more Tozer.
Pastor Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i too have a good book...a book that brings conviction....called "Absolute Power" by john avant...here is just a portion of the back cover...

"After visiting persecuted churches in Vietnam, Belarus, and the Middle East, I was inspired. I saw something I just do not see today in the average American church--something so strong that the best descriptor is that it's supernatural. It's the power that comes from Christ. But I'm amazed that the greatest authentic power I see is wielded by those with the least power in the eyes of this world. Shortly after nearly being killed in the Middle East, I read Philippians 3: 10-14 and discovered the words that unveil the secrets of real power. These are the words this book is based upon."
--John Avant

Anonymous said...

sorry.... i am the anonymous one that forgot to say my name when i posted a response regarding john avant's book...it's preston... i just dont have a google account..my wife does though...