Sunday, July 6, 2008

My Three Dads

I just finished reading the book, "Lost Boy" by Greg Laurie.

Lost Boy

It has been some time since a biography (in this case and autobiography), has moved me to tears. I saw so much of my life in some of the things Greg went through, especially in the area of his Dad.

I never met my first Dad. He died at the age of 50, when I was in my early twenties. I did not even know I had another "Dad" until I was 12 years old. The story is too long to go into here, but as a young boy, about to enter his teenage years, this revelation rocked my world, to say the least.

My second Dad, the man who raised me, who gave me his last name, who taught me right and wrong, who loved me unconditionally, was as good a Dad as a kid could hope for, and yet, I could not help but wonder what was wrong with me that my first Dad not only abandoned me, but was more than willing to sign me over to this other man. You see, in order for my second Dad to adopt me, my first Dad had to agree to it.

During my teenage years as my second Dad and I grew apart, I always thought it was because I was not his "real" son. As a teenager, I never felt like I was good enough for him. I just felt like I didn't measure up. Of course, time has proven that to be a lie from the devil. My second Dad had his own problems, just like all of us do.

Now, as a 50 year old man, with my "second" Dad having turned 74, I see a man who took a little 2 year old boy and made him his own. He did what many men would not have done. He did not have to adopt me, but he chose to. I am proud to call him Dad. I am proud to be his son.

I am thankful for so much that he has done for me over the years. He has not been, and is not perfect. But he is my Dad. And most of all, he was instrumental in introducing me to my third Dad.

I am so glad that my Dad made sure we went to church. At vacation bible school in the summer of 1968 I met Jesus as my Savior, and became a child of God. My third Dad (God), has been everything that my other two Dad's never have been, and never could be.

You will probably not ever meet my Dad (#2), but I pray that one day you will meet Dad #3.

As the scripture says, He is the Father of the fatherless.

Well, I've got to go now. My son is calling me to come watch him play a video game.

I pray you will come join the family.

Pastor Dave

No comments: