Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Job & Facebook

While reading in the book of Job this morning my mind drifted to my Facebook account. This might seem strange to some of you, but I will explain in just a minute.

In case you are unaware of what Facebook is, here is a consicse definition that I found in Wikipedia:

"Facebook, formerly The Facebook, is a free-access social networking website that is operated and privately owned by Facebook, Inc. Users can join networks organized by city, workplace, school, and region to connect and interact with other people. People can also add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves."

Or, as one of my friends have said, "Facebook is MySpace for adults."

Now, on to the book of Job and the Facebook connection.

I was reading in Job chapters 7,8 & 9 and these verses jumped out at me:

Job 7:7: "Remember, O God, that my life is but a breath..."

Job 9:25: "My days are swifter than a runner..."

Job 9:26: "They skim past like boats of papyrus, like eagles swooping down on their prey."

Job has come to the conclusion here that life goes by very quickly. One day your'e young and the next you're old. One day you have a lifetime ahead of you and the next day you're reading obituaries of people who are your age, or younger.

Now, what does this have to do with Facebook?

Well, since I have been on Facebook I have reconnected to several of my childhood friends and people I knew in High School. One person I found I had first become friends with when I was six years old. Another now lives in Spain. Some have battled cancer and survived. Others have gone through painful divorces. Many are still happily married and are now grandparents!! Although some of the people I have reconected with on Facebook were not part of the crowd that I ran around with in High School, we all knew of each other, and the cliques that were so important back them seemed to have vanished. I have enjoyed getting to know some people that I only remember seeing at school back then, but never interacting with.

So while reading Job and his reflection on the brievity of life, I thought of all those years ago, with friends that I have reconected with on Facebook. We could not have imagined being grandparents, battling cancer, the hurt caused by divorce, and all the things that life throws at you as the years go by.

But one of the greatest joys has been finding the number of friends that are now believers in Christ. I knew the Lord in my High School days, but I was not really walking with the Lord back then. What a rush it has been to read of testimonies of people that I knew back then and will now be able to spend eternity with!

And this brings me to the conclusion of this blog. There is life after High School. There is life after marriage. There is life after children. There is life after divorce. There is life after cancer.

There is even life after death.

Yep. You read that right. There is life after death.

You will either live with Jesus forever, or separated from Him forever in hell.

The choice is up to you.

I will be 52 years old this year. Job was right. Life goes by fast. Soon it will be over. The time to choose is now.

Now, I'm going to go check out my facebook page and see what my friends are doing.

Pastor Dave

No comments: